GSA Health & Dental Plan
To help University of Calgary graduate students pay for the health services they need, the GSA has partnered with Studentcare in order to provide students with extended health and dental coverage. The Plan is designed specifically to fill the gaps in provincial care (the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan – AHCIP)
All eligible full-time graduate students who are registered in classes are automatically covered by the Plan for 12 months of coverage (your student year), starting on the first day of the first month of your first term of study:
- September students: September 1 – August 31
- January students: January 1 – December 31
- May students: May 1 – April 30
- July students: July 1 – June 30
Certain exceptions exist. Please check your student account to confirm if you have been charged the Plan fees.
Part-time and distance students are not automatically enrolled, but may be eligible to enrol themselves in the Plan.
Among other features, the Plan covers health, dental, vision, and travel benefits
- Up to 80% for prescription drugs to a maximum of $10,000
- $1,825 for health practitioners (psychologists, master of social work, registered clinical counsellor physiotherapists, chiropractors, etc.)
- Up to $375 in vision care (eye exams, eyeglasses and contact lenses, laser eye surgery)
- Up to $850 in dental care (checkups, cleanings, fillings, extractions, endodontics, periodontics, etc.)
- $5,000,000 in travel health coverage per incident and 120 days per trip
- $5,000 for trip interruption and $1,500 for trip cancellation in the event of a medical emergency
- Ambulances, dental accidents, medical equipment, and more!
How Can I Save More?
You can further enhance your benefits by visiting health professionals who are members of the Dental, Vision, Chiropractic, Psychology, Physiotherapy, and Massage Therapy Networks. You are covered for one insured portion regardless of the health professional you choose. By consulting a Network member, you will get additional coverage. For example, by visiting a Dental Network member, you will receive an additional 30% off dental services, enabling you to get up to 100% coverage.
How Much Does it Cost?
The total annual cost of the Plan is $600.67 for students starting is September, January, May or July. The student year lasts 12 months from the first day of the month that your initial term begins. For example, students starting in September are covered from September 1, 2018 – August 31, 2019. The cost of the Plan is automatically included in your tuition and other fees.
$590.67Health = $326.58Dental = $264.09
Add One Dependent (spouse OR child) for an additional
$618.58Health = $340.22Dental = $278.36
Families for an additional
$913.51Health = $502.43Dental = $411.08
Can I Change my Coverage?
If you are covered by another extended health and/or dental plan (i.e. parent or spouse’s employee plan, not AHCIP), you can combine both plans to maximize your overall coverage and reduce or eliminate out-of-pocket costs.
Alternatively, you can opt out of the health portion, the dental portion, or the Plan in its entirety during the Change-of-Coverage Period, based on the month you started your studies.
- May students: April 24 to May 15, 2019
- July students: June 26 – July 10, 2019
- September students: August 23 – September 20, 2019
- January students: January 10 – 31, 2020
To change your coverage (opt-in, opt-out, or enrol your family members), please sign in and submit the request HERE: https://www.studentcare.ca/coveragemanager/main.aspx?locale=en&assocID=65
For information about the opt-out process, visit this page: http://www.studentcare.ca/rte/en/IHaveAPlan_UniversityofCalgarygraduatestudentsGSA_ChangeofCoverage_OptOuts
Once the opt out is complete, you will receive a credit to your student account for the amount of the Plan. If you are eligible, the Change-of-Coverage Period is also when you can enrol yourself and your spouse and/or dependent children in the Plan.
empower me – mental health resources
Students covered by the GSA Health Plan have access to Empower Me – a mental health and wellness service that seeks to contribute to a resilient student community by supporting existing on-campus and Studentcare mental health resources.
Empower Me allows students to connect with qualified counsellors, consultants, and life coaches for a variety of issues. As a student covered by the GSA Health Plan, you’re entitled to sessions delivered in person, by telephone, by video-counselling, or by e-counselling.
Empower Me is:
- Available 24/7, 365 days per year
- Culturally sensitive
- Gender inclusive
- Faith inclusive
Connect with Empower Me
- Call the 24/7 helpline at 1-844-741-6389 from anywhere in North America to be directly connected to a trained counsellor—the person answering the phone is not an operator, administrator, or receptionist.
- Log in to the Empower Me website and use “Studentcare” as the password.
- Download additional Empower Me student assistance tools on the iAspiria mobile app. Enter “Studentcare” as the Login ID and select “Student” in the drop-down menu.
Using Empower Me
You can always contact an Empower Me professional—no issue is too big or too small. Though Empower Me counsellors are qualified to support students in crisis, you don’t need to be in crisis in order to take advantage of the service.
You can get support for issues of any kind, including relationships, family care, depression, anxiety, addictions, stress, work conflicts, and much more. Empower Me also offers a full suite of academic life services, such as life coaching, financial planning, and nutritional counselling.
Have more questions?
Check out the FAQ here.
Alberta Health Care
Have no Canadian provincial health care? You’ll need it to be able to use the Health and Dental Plan.
- A provincial plan is a requirement for your insurance benefits plan (below) to be active.
- To obtain Alberta Health Care: www.health.gov.ab.ca
Student Wellness Services
Student Wellness Services is here for your well-being. Services offered include health services, health promotion and outreach, and mental health services. For more details, visit https://www.ucalgary.ca/wellness-services