GSA Health & Dental Plan
To help University of Calgary graduate students pay for the health services they need, the GSA has partnered with Studentcare in order to provide students with extended health and dental coverage. The Plan is designed specifically to fill the gaps in provincial care (the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan – www.health.alberta.ca)
All eligible full-time graduate students who are registered in classes are automatically covered by the Plan for 12 months of coverage (your student year), starting on the first day of the first month of your first term of study:
- September students: September 1 – August 31
- January students: January 1 – December 31
- May students: May 1 – April 30
- July students: July 1 – June 30
Certain exceptions exist. Please check your student account to confirm if you have been charged the Plan fees.
Part-time and distance students are not automatically enrolled, but may be eligible to enrol themselves in the Plan.
Among other features, the Plan covers health, dental, vision, and travel benefits
- Up to 80% for prescription drugs to a maximum of $4,000
- Over $2,000 for health practitioners (psychologists, physiotherapists, chiropractors, etc.)
- Up to $350 in vision care (eye exams, eyeglasses and contact lenses, laser eye surgery)
- Up to $900 in dental care (checkups, cleanings, fillings, extractions, endodontics, periodontics, etc.)
- $5,000,000 in travel health coverage per incident and 120 days per trip
- $5,000 for trip interruption and $1,500 for trip cancellation in the event of a medical emergency
- Ambulances, dental accidents, medical equipment, and more!
Visit www.studentcare.ca/CalgaryGSA for complete details.
How Can I Save More?
You can further enhance your benefits by visiting health professionals who are members of the Dental, Vision, Chiropractic, Psychology, Physiotherapy, and Massage Therapy Networks. You are covered for one insured portion regardless of the health professional you choose. By consulting a Network member, you will get additional coverage. For example, by visiting a Dental Network member, you will receive an additional 30% off dental services, enabling you to get up to 100% coverage.
How Much Does it Cost?
The total annual cost of the Plan is $566.67 for students starting is September, January, May or July. The student year lasts 12 months from the first day of the month that your initial term begins. For example, students starting in September are covered from September 1, 2016 – August 31, 2017. The cost of the Plan is automatically included in your tuition and other fees.
$566.67Health = $311.87Dental = $254.80
Couples (or Plus One Dependent)
$618.58Health = $340.22Dental = $278.36
$830.46Health = $456.75Dental = $373.71
Can I Change my Coverage?
If you are covered by another extended health and/or dental plan (i.e. parent or spouse’s employee plan, not AHCIP), you can combine both plans to maximize your overall coverage and reduce or eliminate out-of-pocket costs.
Alternatively, you can opt out of the health portion, the dental portion, or the Plan in its entirety during the Change-of-Coverage Period, based on the month you started your studies.
- September students: Sept. 2 – Sept. 30, 2016
- January students: Jan. 6 – 27, 2017
- May and July students: please refer to www.studentcare.ca/CalgaryGSA for the Change-of-Coverage dates.
Once the opt out is complete, you will receive a credit to your student account for the amount of the Plan. If you are eligible, the Change-of-Coverage Period is also when you can enrol yourself and your spouse and/or dependent children in the Plan.
Alberta Health Care
Have no Canadian provincial health care? You’ll need it to be able to use the Health and Dental Plan.
- A provincial plan is a requirement for your insurance benefits plan (below) to be active.
- To obtain Alberta Health Care: www.health.gov.ab.ca
The SU Wellness Centre
The SU Wellness Centre is the collaboration of the Student Health, Counselling Services and Faith & Spirituality Centre to provide wellness in body, mind, and spirit to support academic and personal success. Our services include:
- Counselling Services for personal, academic and career development
- Health Services including family medicine, chiropractic, nutrition, massage therapy and dental services
- Faith & Spirituality Centre for multi-faith spiritual support and guidance
- Travel Clinic for travel consultations and immunizations
- Wellness Guide for information on a wide range of health topics