Current GSA Volunteer Opportunities
These volunteer opportunities are available through the GSA Volunteer Recruitment Program. If you would like hear more about external opportunities, please sign up to our volunteer list to receive these opportunities in your mail box as soon as they are available. Sign up HERE
Call for Bargaining Team Volunteers!
Negotiations for our collective agreement will begin this year. Your Labour Relations Committee wants to have a team in place to begin this process. We are seeking interested members to join our bargaining team in either an outreach, steering, or negotiating role.
- Create surveys and organize outreach sessions (think town halls) to gather information about priorities of Academically Employed Graduate Students
- Produce reports based on gathered data
Useful Skills: precise communication, organization, teamwork, quantitative and qualitative analysis
Time commitment: minimal, 4-6 hours per month
- Determine bargaining priorities based on outreach reports
- Instruct and oversee the negotiating team
Useful Skills: critical thinking, leadership, teamwork
Time commitment: moderate, 4-6 hours per month during data collection phase, upwards to 16 hours per month directly leading up to negotiations
- Sit at the negotiation table with lead negotiator (PSAC will provide a professional negotiator to act as lead)
- Work with lead negotiator to determine negotiation strategy
- Report to Steering team after each bargaining session
- Will receive training by PSAC, but prior experience or training is an asset
Useful Skills: active listening, patience, adaptability, emotional intelligence
Time commitment: high, during negotiations day long bargaining sessions are most productive (8 hours per day) with 2-3 sessions booked back to back. However, we recognize academic commitments and short breaks to conduct research/perform employment duties are accommodated.
Outreach will begin immediately, while the steering and negotiating teams will become active depending on the outreach team's timeline as well as when negotiations begin. Because teams may change during bargaining, members do not need to commit to the entire process, however we ask for a commitment of at least two months.
If you are interested in helping, please indicate which team and submit a short statement of interest and/or resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions, contact email@example.com