Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Committee
About the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee
The GSA EDI Committee was established in 2020 by the Board of Directors of the Graduate Students’ Association at the University of Calgary. The EDI Committee strives to remove barriers, provide support, events, and resources, and advocate and amplify the voices of equity-seeking and deserving groups. It aims to improve EDI practices and policies within the GSA and serve as the GSA’s primary graduate student advisory on EDI matters and initiatives. All UofC graduate students are eligible to participate in various roles, including senior leadership positions and committee member volunteer positions.
Keep up to date with the GSA EDI Committee updates via our website and social media:
- Website: https://gsa.ucalgary.ca/services/committees/edicommittee/
- Instagram: @edicgsacalgary
- If you are interested in volunteering, follow our Instagram page to keep updated on what is happening, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more!
Committee Member Highlights
Statements from the GSA Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Committee
Statements and Articles from the GSA Gender and Sexuality Alliance Subcommittee
- Transgender Day of Visibility Article
- Open Letter from The GSA Gender and Sexuality Alliance Subcommittee
- Article: How to discuss issues of politics, gender, and sexuality
- Article: How to create an inclusive classroom as a graduate lecturer or teaching assistant
- Article: Challenging the Unjust System: Pride is A Riot
GSA Actions to Address EDI Issues
- Learning about racism and anti-racism within the members of GSA Board, Staff, and Senior Leadership Team
- Bringing diverse voices to decision-making tables
- Amplifying the voices of oppressed groups through statements, stories, and resources
- Building EDI into the GSA strategic plan
- Forming and building the EDI Committee
EDI Committee Members
The Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Committee of the Graduate Students’ Association at the University of Calgary is situated in the traditional territories of the people of the Treaty 7 region in Southern Alberta, which includes the Blackfoot Confederacy (comprising the Siksika, Piikani, and Kainai First Nations), as well as the Tsuut’ina First Nation, and the Stoney Nakoda (including the Chiniki, Bearspaw, and Wesley First Nations). The City of Calgary is also home to Métis Nation of Alberta, Region 3.