The GSA is honoured to present the GSA Awards recipients for the 2020-21 academic year. 2020-21 has been extraordinary for graduate students as COVID-19 has drastically impacted the traditional ways graduate students do research and study. The operations and activities of the GSA were also moved virtual since March 2020. Despite the myriad of COVID-19 challenges, community members from across the University of Calgary continue to dedicate their time and talent to improve the graduate student experience.
This year, the GSA would like to honour 44 individuals who have gone above and beyond to support UCalgary graduate students. From setting up valuable virtual online workshops and symposiums to reforming the admission system for Black and racialized applicants, these individuals have shown their strong leadership and dedication to the success of graduate students.
“There are no words good enough to thank you for all you have done for graduate students. Everyday, you let your actions speak louder than words. Thank you for inspiring us and for the sacrifices you make. This University would not be where it is without you and we can’t wait to see what you do next.”, Alex Paquette, GSA VP Academic, extends his appreciation to the Awards winners.
The GSA would like to thank the Awards Committee and the GSA VP Academic, Alex Paquette, for their work on the awards’ terms of reference, application, and adjudication process.
See online for the video announcement by the GSA’s Board of Directors.
Please join us celebrate the recipients of the 2020-21 GSA Awards:
Excellence in Administrative Support (Support Staff): Monica Freeman, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Excellence in Administrative Support (Senior Administration): Dr. Mary Grantham O’Brien (Professor, Department of Languages, Linguistics, Literatures and Culture; Associate Dean, Policy of Faculty of Graduate Studies)
Excellence in Research (Graduate Students): Sina Rezvani, Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
Excellence in Supervision: Dr. Nancy Moules, Faculty of Nursing
Excellence in Research (Senior Research Affiliates): Dr. Elodie Labit, Department of Veterinary Medicine
Excellence in Teaching (Graduate Students): Dinu Attalage, Department of Civil Engineering
Excellence in Teaching (Senior Instructors): Dr. Jeff Pieper, Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
Leadership Award: Robyn Paul, Schulich School of Engineering
Honourable mentions: Julia Duan, Faculty of Kinesiology; Anthonia Anowai, Cumming School of Medicine
Emerging Leader Award: Chelsea Klinke, Department of Anthropology and Archaeology
Honourable mentions: Kayla Dias, Department of Biological Sciences; Keshia Holloman-Dawson, Faculty of Law
GSA Champion Award: Dr. Leslie Reid, Vice Provost of Teaching and Learning, University of Calgary
Lifetime Achievement Award: Harrison Campbell, Werklund School of Education
Graduate Representative Council Distinguished Service Award: Kayla Dias, Department of Biological Sciences
Volunteer Excellence Awards
- Andrew Kemle, Department of Political Science
- Anthonia Anowai, Cumming School of Medicine
- Breni Sharma, Cumming School of Medicine
- Robyn Paul, Schulich School of Engineering
- Feyisetan Adebayo, Schulich School of Engineering
Graduate Student Sustainability Award: Bita Malekian, Schulich School of Engineering
Graduate Representative Council Initiative Awards
- 1st Annual Food Studies Symposium (Chelsea Klinke, Gertrude Korkor Samar, and Simon Koots)
- The PHAS Graduate Assistant Workshop (Pamela Freeman, Becky Booth, Kyle Reiter, Omid Khajehdehi, Davor Curic, Carlton-James Osakwe, Svetlana Kuznetsova, Hadi Zadeh Haghighi, Mahsa Faryadras, Kaitlyn Stenhouse, Pooja Woosaree, Omid Aligholamioskooee, and Anustup Das)
- The Foothills Financial Literacy Workshop Series (Megha Murali, Rachita Panda, and Lucia Otero Varela)
- Encouraging Black and Racialized Applicants Through Admission Reforms (Keshia Holloman-Dawson)
- Software Training (Hector Bonilla and Antonio Garcia Vila)