Dear Graduate Community:
Today, we recognize and celebrate December 3, the International Day of Persons with Disabilities! This day, designated by The United Nations aims to raise awareness about disability issues and mobilise support for greater equality through a global lens.
We remain committed to seeking ways to improve accessibility on all grounds. We see you. We hear you. We feel you. We appreciate you. You are not alone.
We must all continue this work in each of our respective academic, research, work, and live paths to remove and prevent barriers of accessibility for all. This day is a great opportunity for us all to learn and act toward making our world more inclusive for everyone.
To learn more, you can:
- Visit the Student Accessibility Services at the University of Calgary website, here: https://www.ucalgary.ca/student-services/access
- Visit the Accessibility and Disability in Calgary website, here: https://www.calgary.ca/csps/cns/research-and-strategy/advisory-committee-on-accessibility/accessibility-and-disability-in-calgary.html
- Visit the International Disability Alliance website, here: https://www.internationaldisabilityalliance.org/
- Visit the International Association for the Scientific Study of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (IASSIDD) website, here: https://www.iassidd.org/
- Check out this resource on Making an accessible Canada for persons with disabilities from the Government of Canada website, here: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/accessible-canada.html
- Check out this article on Leadership and participation of persons with disabilities toward an inclusive, accessible, and sustainable post-COVID-19 world, here: https://www.un.org/en/observances/day-of-persons-with-disabilities
- Check out this video on Five things to know about living with a disability during COVID-19, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OELGwOHmg_Q
Always forward and together – GSA Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) Committee. To contact the GSA EDI Committee, email: email@example.com. We would love to hear from you.